Leeds, England

indie artrock band from Leeds with more instruments than you. our mums are really proud of us
virgin awful home-recorded EP done and finished, and a dazzlingly shiny single out now. catch us around leeds

Thursday 23 April 2015

not absent parashite any more

man, are frünchgirls excited to be playing tomorrow nite with our favourite aviation-peril-named band, the absent parachutes. this group of likely indie lads have become like our brothers in blood, through years of competition and even (gosh horror) some spats. I still remember back in the run for the 33 days, those now-strange memories of arctic monkeys b side spewing neaderthalic drudge - but hey, aren't all bands guilty of having their arctic monkeys phase? never forget, frenchgirls/audiobomb have at least 4 am covers in their back catalogue, if my memory serves me correctly. thank god we all moved past those days.
being honest, I was speculative when I first heard of the band's reforming into absent parachute. I wasn't sure if this new name and stripped back style would work out any better than their old format. the awfully disturbing name in particular seemed to spell disaster - absent parachute? who WANTS that??
but as it turns out, despite some slightly dodgy early months (hello, Taco Paco), when I first heard the boys ripping through the modern behemoth that is cecilia go home, on a (probably) misty thursday afternoon in mu2, I felt a strange feeling inside me that shook my every fibre to its core.
I UNDERSTOOD absent parachute. 
they were here to shake my hips. 
they were here to turn my silence into a scream. 
the first band, as it seemed, were far WORSE than the remake.
and now, we come to the eve of their first EP proper being released into the public realm. I've seen this band destroy countless stages, from the chaotic drunken mess of our gig with them last summer in james hobkirk's garden (ben played keyboards for them despite not knowing the chords; I sang on their pumped up kicks cover) right through to last month, seeing them headline the amp awards to the O2 academy's cavernous hall. their music sums up indie pop in a way few bands in this day and age do. musicians these days - ourselves at frenchgirls HQ included - seem to think that in order to be successful and "good", we have to experiment. not so with absent parachute. they are simple in the best sense of the words. what else do you actually need but bass, guitar, drums and a catchy chorus hook? my thoughts exactly. most bands try attempt some real fancy three-course meal into every one of their songs. absent parachute just serve you soup. but real fuckin good soup.
and I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a kickass soup than a shitty moussaka any day.


thd